Portugal D7 Visa: The Ultimate Guide

Updated: April 8, 2021

What is the D7 visa?

The Portuguese government introduced a special type of visa in 2007: the D7 Visa.  It is also known as Retirement Visa or Passive Income Visa.

This residence visa allows any non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen who has a reasonable net regular passive income to apply for residency in Portugal. This income can be from pensions, transferable equity, real estate, intellectual property, or financial investment.

The minimum required value to be eligible for this visa is a monthly income of €1,000.  This is regardless of the person’s country of origin.

This visa allows you and your family legal residence in Portugal. It is intended to attract retirees and those living on passive income to reside in Portugal in an effort to boost the economy. Additionally, holders of this visa are not precluded from having a professional activity in Portugal.

You can apply for the D7 visa at the Portuguese consulate through a series of residence applications. After you have your visa, your immediate family also becomes entitled to a residence permit there under the family reunification regulations. Additionally, this visa allows you to travel through the Schengen zone Visa-Free as it is registered with the Schengen Information system.

Benefits of the Passive Income D7 Visa in Portugal


The D7 visa allows you visa-free entry and circulation through the Schengen Area.

Permanent Residency and Eventual Citizenship

Once you have the D7 visa you are allowed to obtain a residence permit in Portugal for one year. After that, you can renew for two years successively.

After five years of legal residency, you may apply for permanent residency. You can also apply to become a Portuguese National through naturalization. However, to be naturalized in Portugal you’ll have to pass a Portuguese language test.

Resident’s Rights in Portugal

Once you become a resident in Portugal you become entitled to certain benefits offered by the state. These benefits include:

  • Access to the National Health Service Care
  • Access to the National Education Service and school in Portugal
  • Conducting any professional activity as an independent professional
  • Access and protection from the Portuguese Law and Legal System
  • Access to Vocational Schooling in Portugal

Family Reunification

Once you have the D7 visa your family is entitled to join you in Portugal. You’ll need to request family reunification in SEF. You’ll have to legally prove your relationship to all and any members of your family whom you wish to include under this program.

The following is the list of family members that may qualify for family reunification under the D7 visa:

  • Your spouse or partner
  • Your children under 18 years of age, or incapacitated children of the couple or of one of their spouses/partners
  • Children over 18 years of age who are dependent on you or your spouse. This means that they are single and studying in an educational establishment
  • Your parents or your spouse/partner’s parents, as long as they are dependent on you
  • You minor siblings

Option to Become an NHR Resident

Portugal has a special tax program known as NHR(non-habitual resident). Under this program, you are exempt from or pay very little taxes on any foreign-sources income. For more information please read our guide to the NHR program.

Step by step guide to apply for the D7 Visa

Step1: Acquiring a NIF Number and Opening a Bank Account

The first thing you will need to do before any legal procedures in Portugal is to obtain a NIF number. This number is your legal taxation number and it allows you to carry out fiscal activities in the country. You can have a power of attorney obtain that number for you without the need to enter Portugal.

After you acquire the NIF number you need to open a bank account in Portugal, which can also be done remotely.

Step 2: Securing Your Accommodation

As part of the d7 visa application process, you will need to secure adequate accommodation in Portugal. You can do this by renting or buying property there.

Step 3: D7 Visa Application at the Portuguese Consulate

You will need to apply online for an appointment at the Portuguese consulate in your current region. The exact required documents can change between regions. In most cases you will need the following documents:

  • A passport valid for at least six months after the expiry date of the Portugal passive income visa.  This visa will be valid for 4 months.
  • Two recent colored passport-sized photos
  • A declaration outlining reasons for obtaining Portuguese residency
  • Health insurance policy which provides coverage in Portugal
  • Alternatively, you can offer an affidavit stating that you will acquire health insurance in Portugal within 90 days of arriving there
  • Criminal record certificate
  • Travel insurance
  • Evidence of having accommodation in Portugal. This could be a title deed, rental agreement, or property loan agreement
  • Proof of sufficient finances available to the applicant in Portugal
  • Proof of having a reasonable net regular passive income
  • To be eligible you must prove that you have pensions or income amounting for 12 months: €7,200 for the applicant, €3,600 for each additional adult, and  €2,160 per child.

Step 4: Applying for a Residence Permit in Portugal

If you wish to apply for the D7 passive income resident permit then you need to enter Portugal with the D7 visa after the steps mentioned above. The special visa allows you a maximum of two entries and to live in Portugal for up to 4 months. During those four months, you’ll need to enter Portugal and apply for a residence permit.

To apply for a resident permit, you’ll need the following documents:

  • Your passport which contains the D7 visa issued by the Portuguese consulate in your region
  • Proof of accommodation (the same one you submitted to the Portuguese consulate)
  • Proof of sufficient financial means (the same one you submitted to the Portuguese consulate)
  • Health insurance policy in case you acquired it in Portugal

In general, it’s a smart idea to consult a professional as the bureaucratic system can be a bit complicated, you can always contact us with all your questions.

The Time Frame of D7 Visa and Residence Permit

Acquiring all of the documents will usually take about a month. We highly recommend that you hire a specialist to help you collect all the required documents, otherwise it might take you months just to find the right ones.

As for the Consulate and the Visa Application Center,  the procedure can take up to 60 days to be ready. That is, of course, in the case that all the correct documents are submitted directly and that the process is well-formed. In the case where there’s a missing form or a badly-filled in one, this process will take significantly longer. Each time a mistake is discovered, the consulate will inform you and you will often have to appear in-person to fill in the gaps or clarify any issues.

Once in Portugal, the first thing you will need to do is apply to SEF.  The time it takes to obtain the residence permit depends greatly on where you chose to live. In Lisbon or Porto for example, it may take an average of 120 days to get an appointment with SEF. This is due to the high demand there. However, if you chose to live in the countryside, or in a less populous city, then you might be able to get an appointment with SEF within 15 days.

The Cost of the Portuguese D7 Visa

The actual government fees for the D7 visa are very small. They are usually between €50 to €300 per applicant. The primary costs will be the relocation, rent or purchase of property, professional fees, and so on.

The Minimum Stay Requirements for the D7 Visa

Under the D7 residence permit, you are expected to spend at least 16 months in the country during the first 2-year period. You are also expected to be in the country for 28 months in each 3-year subsequent period. If you are absent for 6 consecutive months your residence permit might be invalidated.

The permanent residence that the D7 provides, requires you to stay a minimum of 30 months during each 5-year period. If you are absent for 25 consecutive months, your residence permit might be invalidated.

Keep in mind that the absence periods might be exceeded under some circumstances such as professional duties and force majeure reasons.

Get Golden Visa: Who We Are And What We Do

Get Golden Visa is a full-service investment immigration agency & investment advisory company.  We provide end-to-end solutions on residence and citizenship by investment programs in numerous countries worldwide.

We have a local office in Lisbon, Portugal with legal professionals and chartered real estate professionals in our team.

We work with clients from all around the world, interested in obtaining Portugal Golden Visas, D7 Visas and in making real estate investments in Portugal.

Contact us and talk to one of our experienced team members to help you with any and all your questions.


Can I become a Portuguese Citizen with a D7 visa?

Yes, you can. The residence permit under this visa is granted for one year. After this year, you can renew this visa for successive periods of 2 years. After five years of legal residence, you can apply for a permanent residence permit or Portuguese citizenship.

Is Portugal a Good Place for Retirement?

Portugal has attracted retirees for decades. It has high living standards, low cost of living, excellent healthcare, and many social activities for retirees. All of this makes retiring in Portugal a very attractive option.

Is Portugal Expensive?

Not at all. As a matter of fact, the cost of living in Portugal is very cheap when you look at the quality of life there. A couple can comfortably live in a small town in Portugal for 1,500-2,000 Euros a month.

Free Brochure & Consulting

Comments (55)

  • I need an advisor to guide me through the process of moving to Portugal. I live in USA and have a Irish Passport as well.

    • Hello Christopher, since you have an Irish passport, you will not need any additional visa to come and live in Portugal.
      We provide services on investment immigration and investment advisory. We have a licensed real estate brokerage company that can help with property sales and rentals in Portugal.
      If you have other needs, please tell us what you will specifically need help with and we can try and guide you to the right resources in Portugal.

  • I am baffled about how you can show that you have rented an apartment in Portugal if you have not yet entered the country, because you have not yet obtained your visa. Do you have to go to Portugal first, rent a place, return to the US and then apply for the visa? What if you somehow get turned down? What happens to your rental payments? I read that it used to be acceptable to show a hotel until you could find a rental, but that this is no longer the case. Thanks for your help. I can’t find the answer to this question anywhere online.

    • Hello Franco, if you cannot provide an address in Portugal, then you should be able to provide the address of a Portuguese resident to be your representative over there. For details, it would be best to correspond with a professional. We can happily guide you to one if you get in contact with our team through email. Best of luck.

  • Hi, How much is the expenses of your services via D7 visa.I need an advisor to guide me through the process of moving to Portugal. currently i live in saudia arabia.

    • Thank you for your inquiry Yousaf. We believe you corresponded with our team after the comment, hope that was useful and that you go ahead with the D7 program in Portugal.

  • hello there,
    I hope you’re doing well. I’ve heard recently that D7 visa works in case of an active income( remote job)as well. is it correct? In my case my salary is 3100$ and i have around 30 000$ savings, am I elegible?

    • Dear Yummi, that’s right, you may be eligible for D7 with an active income through a remote job. There are some details that need to be clarified, however. Our team will be in touch with you to go through the details. Best of luck!

    • Hello Rina, yes, you may be eligible to apply for D7 in Portugal as a freelancer working remotely. There are certain requirements and minimum earnings that the Portuguese government will want to see. Feel free to get in touch with us over email and we’d happily guide you in the right direction. Best of luck!

    • Hello Irina, technically yes, you can be eligible. It depends on a number of aspects. Feel free to email us and we can put you in touch with a professional that can help you with the D7 process. Best of luck.

  • Is it possible to move with this Visa with savings only? I am currently in Spain on the Non-Lucrative Visa which I was able to show just savings.

    • Hey Josh, yes, there is a way to apply for the D7 with your savings only. The Portuguese government will want to see a certain amount in your Portuguese bank account to cover for a certain period. Feel free to get in touch with us over email and we would be happy to guide you in the right direction. Hope this was helpful.

      • Hi there!

        I have a considerable amount of savings, but no monthly income and have heard people can’t get D7 Residency with this. Is it true? Or will I be able to get a residency permit with only savings?

        I also want to know where to do it from, since I am a third country national living in Poland (temporary residency), but would like to relocate to Portugal.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        • Hey Sophia, although D7 is a “passive income” visa, you may still be eligible if you have enough savings. There is a certain minimum limit to it that differs depending on the number of your dependants. Feel free to email us at [email protected] and we can put you in touch with a legal professional that can help you with this. Best of luck!

  • Hellow there, I am interested in applying the D7 visa. Would you please let me know the service cost? I have 2 dependents and a spouse.
    Many thanks, H

  • Hello
    Is it possible to get a loan from a bank with a D7 visa to buy a house in Portugal?
    And what percentage of the value of the house do they lend?

    • Yes Mahmoud, you would be able to apply for a mortgage at a Portuguese bank if you are on a D7 Visa. Get in contact with us if you’d like us to guide you to professionals we work with. Our team can also help you with your property search if you need any assistance. Hope this was helpful.

  • If my father gives me a % share of his company which would equate to me perceiving that 1000 euros amount per month, would that be possible to apply with that kind of income? I am talking about the source of the income. Is it a valid solution?

    • Hello Youssef, if the pertaining amount is a dividend being paid out to you in exchange for your partnership in your father’s company, and you can prove it, then you may be eligible for the D7 visa through that. Feel free to email us and we can put you in touch with a professional that can ask for the necessary details to provide you with the right answer. Best of luck.

  • Hi, I’m legally living in Uruguay (I got the resindence here) although my passport is from Argentina. Can I start the application process in the Portugal consulate in Uruguay or should I need to do so from Argentina? Thank you.

  • Good day sir. My name is Ayo. I am a Nigerian and I am 32 years old. I will like to know the entire procedures needed to apply for a D7 Portugal visa. The required fund for the application process is available and I will also like to know the cost of professional fee involved for the whole application process.

    I also have these few questions to ask;

    (1) Can I work when on a Portugal D7 visa ?

    (2) According to my age(32yrs), are my qualify for the Portugal D7 visa ?

    (3) Do I have to move the funds to the bank account in Portugal even before the visa application processes?

    (4) How else can I show a residential address during the application process since I am not yet at Portugal?

    Thanks sir in Advance.

  • Does a D7 visa qualify for duel tax relief? I’m retired and would like to live in Portugal, most of the year with trips back to the US etc.., my pension is paid in the US and I pay US fed & state (CO) taxes. Will I have to pay Portuguese taxes also. Thanks.

  • Hi, I’m UK based and Brexit has rather messed up my plans! I am a GP and with only minimal Portuguese wouldn’t consider applying to work in portugal. I can however do remote working online as a GP for a UK company would this qualify under D7? My partner is also a UK national and as a joiner we can’t think of anything he could do remotely – once his language was acceptable he would obviously work but that would take a little time. Is there a way for us to move together under d7 or would he be restricted to 90/180 days? We’ve been looking between Lousa in Portugal and the French Alps – but if the visa situation is much easier in Portugal then our decision is made

    • Hello Gail, thank you for your message. You may be able to qualify for a D7 if you have a stable income and are working remotely. In case you do, your partner may then qualify to be a dependent under your application and obtain a D7 as well. That would get rid of the “90/180 days” restrictions. We can happily connect you with a legal professional that can tell if your specific case would qualify you for the D7 Visa. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] and we will do so. Best of luck!

  • I hold a Chinese passport and I am currently studying in New Zealand as an escort. When my child enters university life, I need to apply for a D7 and I don’t need to work in Portugal because I work remotely. Before I submit my D7 application, do I need to entrust you to open a bank account and tax number? What are your fees? How do I do it? Please advise me more

  • Dear sir
    I have saving of 60000 euros in my bank. But I don’t have any passive income. Am i eligible for d7 visa along with my family of 4 kids?

  • Hi, I have read all the questions and answers on the website,they are really helpful and are informative only one thing in my mind to ask you is if someone is less then 40 and want to work in Portugal on D7 is he or she allowed to work?

  • Hi I would like to have more information on the D7 visa and how can I go about it. Also need information if I can apply for a loan to buy property in Portugal for my stay

  • Hi,

    I read somewhere you can bring your spouse with you on a D7 Visa. But can I bring my non-EU girlfriend on the D7 Visa?

    • Hey James, you are able to include your spouse and dependent children in your D7 application. If your girlfriend is a “common-law partner”, so someone you have lived with for a prerequisite amount of time in a conjugal fashion, you may be able to include her in your application as well. Please feel free to fill out the form in the above article and we’d be happy to put you in touch with a legal professional that would be able to guide you in the right direction. Best of luck!

  • hello,

    I want to ask about the non-lucrative visa for my parents. I am now working in Germany. They are both retired now in China, they can also afford all the cost to stay in Europa. Can you help to apply the non-lucrative Visa?
    If they got the visa, can they still now during the covid crisis enter Spain?
    How about the cost for all the procedures with your help.


    Best wishes
    Tianci Cheng

    • Hello Tianci, we’ve received your form for D7 in Portugal and our team will be in touch with you for both D7 and the Non-Lucrative visa. All the best.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *