The Quality Of Education And International Schools In Greece
Education In the Greek Language Is Not Mandatory
The Greek Education System
Pre-school education is called Vrefonipiakoi Paidikoi Stathmi (crèches) in the education system. It’s important to note here that they are not part of compulsory education. Children can start pre-school education after two and a half years of age.
After four years of age, your child can attend kindergarten (Nipiagogeia). The Ministry of Education in Greece encourages families to send their children to kindergarten, which is free. However, they don’t cover the cost of stationery equipment.
- Primary School (Dimotiko): Primary school is for children between 6 and 11 years of age
- Secondary School (Gymnasio): Secondary school is for children between 12 and 14 years of age
- Senior High School (Iykeion): Senior High School is for children between 15 and 17 years of age
Higher Education in Greece
- Non-university level: Generally, programs of technical/vocational training last three years
- University level first stage: They are undergraduate degrees and generally last four years
- University level second stage: The first level of postgraduate studies last for a minimum of four semesters
- University level third stage: Doctoral degree which depends on the field of study
International Schools in Greece
You can find several international schools in Greece, mostly situated in Athens. International Institutions are desirable for expats. They offer various languages of education and foreign/international curricula.
Moreover, they follow the curriculum models of the UK, the US, and France. The most popular international schools in Greece are the British and American schools. Many international schools provide education in kindergarten, primary school, secondary school, and high school.
Finally, students who graduate from one of Greece’s international schools have a competitively high chance of getting accepted into elite universities. Especially those of Europe and the United States of America.
Here are some options for graduates among international students. They can attend a university in the UK or the EU:
- as an EU citizen (if you are also a Greek citizen), or
- a long term citizen, or
- an international student if they have a Golden Visa
Tuition Fees of International Schools in Greece
International schools in Greece are private and are subject to tuition fees. The fees range from €7.000 to €13.000 for each school year. These fees may vary depending on the school chosen, and its policy. It can also differ depending on the student’s age or grades.
Moreover, considering the quality of education students receive in these institutions, these prices are very acceptable. They are mostly cheaper than education in China, the US, or the UK.
Diverse And All-around Programs Of International Schools In Greece
As mentioned earlier, international schools in Greece maintain a very high standard in the quality of their education. This is partly due to their diverse and comprehensive programs. These programs provide the children with all the knowledge and practice they need in a broad spectrum of areas. In return, they enhance the quality of education and the overall success of the alumni of these institutions.
List Of International Schools In Greece
English Speaking International Institutions:
- American College, also known as Pierce College (US)
- Campion School (UK)
- St. Catherine’s British School (UK)
- American Community Schools, ACS (US)
- Byron College: The British International School (UK)
- International School of Athens, ISA
- Costeas-Geitonas School CGS
- Doukas School
- I.M Panagiotopoulos School
- St. Lawrence College (UK)
- International School of Piraeus (UK)
- Anatolia College (US)
- Pinewood American College of Thessaloniki (US)
French Speaking International Institutions:
- Lycée Franco-Hellénique Eugène Delacroix
- French School of Thessaloniki – Ecole française de Thessalonique
German Speaking International Institutions:
- Deutsche Schule Athen
- German School of Thessaloniki – Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki